Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards 2017
- The Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards are open to all Australian residents.
- All images must have been taken within the Brisbane local authority area.
- Entrants are limited to one image per person.
- Council employees may enter but will not be eligible for prizes.
- Entrants must specify on their entry form which category they are entering.
- Images must have been taken after 1 January 2016.
- Entries must be submitted in JPG format. Entrants may submit colour or black and white images.
- A minimum dimension of 612 pixels along both sides of the image. 72dpi is acceptable.
- Entries must be a minimum file size of 1MB and a maximum file size of 50MB.
- A brief artist statement of up to 30 words is mandatory to describe the submitted image.
- Entrants are permitted to use post processing (e.g. Photoshop and similar software) on images.
- Images must be the original work of the entrant. No third party may enter on behalf of another individual unless a parent entering on behalf of a minor.
- The entrant must have the written, signed and dated permission of any people appearing in the image submitted. The entrant must be able to produce evidence of permission from subject if requested during the judging process.
Eligibility Tertiary Category
- The Tertiary Category is open to students currently studying or who have previously studied photography or a related discipline at a recognised institution or photography school within the Brisbane Local Authority Area, and who are living and residing in the Brisbane Local Authority Area.
- To enter the tertiary category entrant must have completed their studies in Brisbane in 2015 or after, or be due to complete their studies in Brisbane 2017.
How to Enter
- All entrants must complete all sections of the online entry form.
- Entries should be submitted online by 5pm Thursday 22 June 2017. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Only digital files will be accepted as eligible entries. Prints or entries on CD/DVD will not be accepted.
- All files must be named: entrant-name_title-of-work (e.g. John-Smith_my-Brisbane) and be dated.
- Entrants may be required to submit their entry on CD/DVD with a higher resolution version for reproduction/exhibition purposes if requested.
- Personal information provided as part of entry will not be disclosed without your consent for any other purpose unless required by law.
- By submitting an entry, the Entrant agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions outlined in this document.
Judging and Prizes
- All entries will be judged by a panel including the selection of the People’s Choice Award finalists, they will consider elements of creativity and originality. There will only be one winner in each category.
- People’s Choice Award finalists will be decided by public popular vote. All other categories will be awarded by the judges. The decision of the judges will be final.
- Every approved entry will be considered for judging.
- Prizes are as stated on the Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards website.
- Open category winner will receive $10,000 prize money.
- Tertiary category winner will receive $2000 prize money.
- People's Choice Award winner will receive $1000 prize money.
- Winning entries for the Open and Tertiary categories and finalist entries for the People’s Choice category will be notified by phone, letter or email by Monday 17 July 2017. The Lord Mayor or representative will announce winners by Thursday 31 August 2017.
- Brisbane City Council employees may enter the Awards; however they will not be eligible for prizes. Where a Brisbane City Council employee is allocated a first placing, the prize shall be awarded to second placing.
By voting for entries in the People's Choice Award voters agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions:
- Online voting for the People's Choice Award category opens on Thursday 27 July 2017 and closes at 5pm on Sunday 20 August 2017.
- Voters of the People's Choice Award are limited to one vote per image. Voting is also available at Councils Ekka stand from Friday 11 to Sunday 20 August 2017, voting is limited to one vote per email address.
- Eligibility to vote: To be eligible to vote, a person must fully and legibly complete all the details on the voting form.
- Based on popular vote the image with the most public votes will be deemed the overall winner, one image will be awarded the People's Choice Award. This winner will be awarded the prize money as listed in 4.3.
- Brisbane City Council employees may enter the Awards; however they will not be eligible for prizes. Where a Brisbane City Council employee or winners of the open and tertiary category is allocated a first placing, the prize shall be awarded to second placing.
- In the event of a tie when judging the People's Choice Award, the judging panel of the Open and Tertiary category will have the final vote to determine one winner.
- Council accepts no responsibility whatsoever for late, misplaced, lost or ineligible voting forms.
- Important – Privacy Consent: No information given by voters will be stored on any database. All records of voters’ personal information will not be retained by Council.
- The online gallery will display a changing selection of approved images.
- Winning images of Open and Tertiary categories may be selected to appear on banners in King George Square from Wednesday 26 July to Monday 21 August 2017
- Finalist images of the People’s Choice category may be selected to appear in the People’s Choice Exhibition at People’s Gallery in Brisbane City Hall from Thursday 27 July to Thursday 17 August.
- Entrants whose images are selected for the exhibition will be notified by phone, letter or email by Monday 17 July 2017.
- Council reserves the right to refuse display of any entry deemed unsuitable for public exhibition. This includes material that contains swearing, nudity, racist, sexist or political comment, political satire or political criticism or may otherwise be potentially embarrassing to Council.
Copyright and Moral Rights
- Upon submission of an entry to the Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards, you, as the owner of the image grant Brisbane City Council the right to:
- Maintain a copy of the image for archival purposes;
- Enlarge and adapt the image in the event of winning in order to fit the large scale format of the exhibition;
- Publish on Council's website and social media platforms;
- Use the image for promotional and publicity purposes relating to the Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards; and
- Display the image in public spaces for the duration of the Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards exhibition; and
- Allow the image to be reproduced and/or exhibited by Brisbane City Council and its subsidiaries and related companies. This consent is perpetual, nonexclusive transferrable and royalty free.
- You warrant that you are the owner of all copyright of the artwork or have obtained all necessary approvals to permit the submission of the image to the Awards.
- While you retain copyright of the image, you grant permission for the image to be used for promotional and publicity purposes relating to the Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards and for the image to be promoted through social media sites.
- The winning image in the Open category will enter the City of Brisbane Collection.
- Brisbane City Council will acknowledge the photographer in all publicity of the exhibition as the creator and owner of the image.
- While Brisbane City Council will take care to ensure the quality and integrity of the reproduced artwork, you acknowledge that enlargements and slight variations to the image may result from adapting the original artwork to the large scale format required for exhibition presentation.
- The winning images may be featured on the cover of the Live guide during 2017-2018. Live is a publication which promotes Brisbane City Council's arts and cultural events, workshops and activities across Brisbane.
- Any inadvertent failure of Council, or failure of a third party, to accord proper attribution shall not entitle You to withdraw your consents and approvals given in these terms and conditions.
If for any reason the competition or voting process for the competition is not capable of running as planned (including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Council), which corrupts or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this competition, Council reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition and/or the voting. Council reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify votes from any individual who tampers with, or benefits from tampering with, the voting process which as a result corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the competition.
- Council reserves the right to modify these terms and conditions at any time and to cancel or amend the competition and/or the voting process at any time without notice or further recourse to the Applicants or to voters.
- The Lord Mayors Photographic Awards is being presented and promoted by Brisbane City Council ABN 72 002 765 795 acting through Connected Communities Branch, Lifestyle and Community Services whose principal offices are at Brisbane Square, 266 George Street, Brisbane.
Brisbane City Council is using this form to seek electronic entries to the 2017 Lord Mayor's Photographic Awards. The personal information you provide in this submission form will be protected in accordance with our obligations under the Information Privacy Act 2009.